Blue-Cloud demonstrator webinar on 12 February 2021
Zoo & Phytoplankton EOV Products: Big data and machine learning methods to enhance biodiversity data
After the successful first webinar in June 2020, introducing the five Blue-Cloud real-life demonstrators, we have launched a series of individual virtual meetings to discover each demonstrator. Experts from the partners involved will provide the most relevant details about the technical and conceptual issues that are being tackled thanks to the Blue-Cloud framework.
The fourth webinar is scheduled on 12 February 2021 at 10:00 CET introducing "Zoo and Phytoplankton EOV Products", the demonstrator developed by the Flanders Marine Institute (VLIZ), in collaboration with the Faculty of Science and Engineering at Sorbonne University.
The demonstrator will compile and process several data resources that are available under different European marine networks, data systems and research infrastructures and apply big data analysis and machine learning (e.g. neural networks) methods to create fit for purpose data products, using an open transparent methodology that runs in the Blue Cloud. It will focus on biological Essential Ocean Variables (EOV’s) on plankton.
A method for creating gridded climatologies from zooplankton observations, developed by the GHER of the University of Liège using the variational inverse method and a neural network, will also be presented.
- 10:00: Introduction, Blue-Cloud Vision and Mission, by Sara Pittonet Gaiarin, Trust-IT Services.
- 10:05: Zoo & Phytoplankton EOV demonstrator insights, by Patricia Cabrera, VLIZ.
- 10:10: Deriving global ocean 3D Chlorophyll-a concentrations using machine learning techniques, by Renosh Pannimpullath Remanan, Laboratoire d'Océanographie de Villefranche.
- 10:20: Deriving gridded data products for zooplankton distribution using variational analysis and neural networks, by Alex Barth, University of Liège.
- 10:30: Modelling phyto- and zoo-plankton interactions, by Viviana Otero, VLIZ
- 10:40: Next steps by Patricia Cabrera, VLIZ.
- 10:45: Q&A