23 June 2022 15:00 CEST
The VO (Virtual Observatory) is set of standards and tools for data interoperability within astronomy. In the scope of the ESCAPE, the ESCAPE VO (Virtual Observatory) connects the data published on ESFRI (European Strategy Forum on Research Infrastructures) to the European Open Science Cloud (EOSC) using the VO.
ESCAPE VO integrates distributed research infrastructures into EOSC through the VO, to ensure that their high-level scientific products and big data sets are openly accessible. The ESCAPE enabled VO services aim to be a key for discovery and reuse, using common disciplinary IVOA (International Virtual Observatory Alliance) standards and fostering good practices for data access, deposition and sharing of data, as well as for data management curation and preservation, but also education and
outreach to the scientific community. All in all, the VO is a pioneer of data sharing with a well established alliance of international partners who cooperate to build the necessary interoperability standards.
In the webinar on 23 June 2022 at 15:00 CEST, "ESCAPE VO | Connecting ESFRI data to the EOSC using the VO" we will show how ESCAPE VO has been supporting ESFRIs by allowing cross-border and multidisciplinary research, as well as by ensuring that the needs of the ESFRI projects are taken into consideration in the development of VO standards.
Who should attend?
- Scientists from any scientific field that want to use software and other services to conduct innovative top-level research in their respective fields;
- Professionals from e-infrastructures and research infrastructures, from Europe and beyond, looking forward to developing innovative technologies and increasing international cooperation on global interoperability and access;
- Professionals involved in the EOSC working on ensuring the optimal federation of ESFRI clusters/ RIs with EOSC and interested on VO standards.
- 8min - The Virtual Observatory (VO) in ESCAPE and EOSC (Mark Allen, ESCAPE VO Team Leader & Director of the Strasbourg Astronomical Data Centre)
- 8min - Introduction to the ESCAPE VO (Hendrik Heinl, ESCAPE VO Team Member & Research Engineer at Strasbourg Astronomical Data Center)
- 8min - Hands-on Open Science training for early career astronomy researchers (Stefania Amodeo, Postdoctoral researcher at Strasbourg Astronomical Data Center)
- 8 mins - The VO-service at JIVE (Marjolein Verkouter, Head of Technical Operations and R&D JIVE)
- 8 mins - The VO-service at ESO (Martino Romaniello, Astronomer at ESO)
- 8mins - Achievements and CEVO and outlook (Mark Allen, ESCAPE VO Team Leader & Director of the Strasbourg Astronomical Data Centre)
- 12mins - Q&A, Discussion