The EOSC model envisions a pan-European federation of data infrastructures built around a shared core, as well as providing access to a wide range of publicly funded services supplied at national, regional and institutional levels, and to complementary commercial services. In order to build this federation, the Governing Board together with the Executive Board has established EOSC priorities around which five EB Working Groups have been established.
- Landscape: Mapping of the existing research infrastructures which are candidates to be part of the EOSC federation;
- FAIR: Implementing the FAIR data principles by defining the corresponding requirements for the development of EOSC services, in order to foster cross-disciplinary interoperability;
- Architecture: Defining the technical framework required to enable and sustain an evolving EOSC federation of systems;
- Rules of participation: Designing the Rules of Participation that shall define the rights, obligations governing EOSC transactions between EOSC users, providers and operators;
- Sustainability: Providing a set of recommendations concerning the implementation of an operational, scalable and sustainable EOSC federation after 2020.
The Working Groups form an official part of the EOSC Governance structure that will ensure a community-sourced approach to the current challenges of the EOSC.
The EOSC Secretariat advises on the processes, assists on the operation and supports the coordination of the Working Groups, pooling the best expertise available in the community and delivering reports on relevant issues to support decision making processes.
The EOSC Workplan
This first version of the EOSC Work Plan outlines the key outputs which will be delivered in this first phase of implementation. This includes:
- A first iteration of activities which will be handed over to a new governance structure at the end of 2020
- The timelines, methods for delivery and key inputs running from mid-2019 until the end of 2020
- Activities including the most recently approved Horizon 2020 projects